Wednesday, March 30, 2016

sergia

2/5 Martini Sweet White Vermouth (1 oz Dolin Blanc)
1/5 Martini Dry Vermouth (1 oz Noilly Prat)
2/5 Raspberry Syrup (1/2 oz Royal Rose)
Juice of 1/8 Lemon (1/2 oz)

Shake with ice, strain into a cocktail glass, and garnish with a lemon twist.

Two Thursdays ago, I spotted the Sergia in the 1937 Café Royal Cocktail Book created by UK Bartender's Guild member Franz Lasarzik. The white vermouth Daisy with raspberry syrup reminded me of Bellocq's Dolin Blanc Cobbler as well as Cane & Table's Modern Lover and my Safety Dance (that was influenced by the previous two drinks) to some degree. Although I adjusted the proportions here to make them a bit drier than what was written, I believe that I kept to the spirit of the drink.
This low proof number began with a lemon and tart berry aroma. Next, the lemon and berry notes continued on into the sip where it was joined by the vermouth pair's white grape, and the swallow was a pleasing combination of raspberry, herbal, and floral elements.

No comments: