Friday, January 20, 2017

the search for delicious

2 oz Cynar
3/4 oz Punt e Mes
15-21 drop Lemon Juice (18 drop)
6 dash Regan's Orange Bitters
1 pinch Sea Salt (Baline)

Build in a rocks glass 1/8th rimmed with salt and stir with ice. Garnish with lemon oil from 5 twists and insert the last peel skin side in.
Before leaving for my work shift two Fridays ago, I had already decided to make The Search for Delicious by The Cure's Kirk Estopinal from 2011's Beta Cocktails. I had recently thought about the drink when I found the post for Will Thompson's The Search for The Cure that he made for me at Drink. I believe that I never made the original from the book for it reminded me a bit too much of the Little Giuseppe, but I felt it was worth giving the recipe a try if only to revisit the delightful flavor combination. Once constructed, The Search for Delicious presented a grand lemon aroma from the quintet of twists' worth of oil. Next, a caramel and grape sip gave way to minty herbal and orange flavors on the swallow. Overall, the pinch of salt killed the bitterness from the Cynar and Punt e Mes but still allowed their herbal notes to come through.

No comments: